We spent a couple of days making sure our raised beds were all prepared and had everything it needed to make sure our veggies had a comfy home to live in and prosper.
Come to find out, our plants are not the only ones that think it’s a great place to hang their hat. Introducing, the Robinsons, and there are over a 1,000 of them.
Yup my friends, we have fire ants. How very annoyed both Hollywood and I were. He sat there for a good 20 minutes, finger smashing quite a bit of them.
While Hollywood was occupied, I quickly ran inside and searched websites on homemade ant poison. Well the only thing I could find that was compatible with the ingredients I had in the house was to mix borax with sugar. Apparently they don’t know the difference between the two, eating both, but the borax poisons them. And I am not quite sure how I ended up with Borax in the house because I don’t remember buying it. Oh well.
After making the toxic mixture I found over at The Happy Housewife, I followed her directions and put some of it on cotton balls and set them outside the opening where most of the ants seemed to be setting up shop. This is when I start to giggle at myself.
Surely this is a preventative measure and not a solution to completely eradicate fire ants on contact. All of the ants just scampered past the soaked cotton balls and I think a few even laughed at me. Hollywood did. I ended up dumping the rest of the liquid on a mound that was close by. (Going to come back and check to see if that did anything later.) On to plan B!
So instead of making a liquid solution, I went with a powder. I mixed one cup of sugar and one cup of borax together and sprinkled it around the entire raised bed.
I didn’t mean to get it on the raised bed itself so I brushed that part of later. On top of that, Hollywood went around the bed about a foot out and sprayed some ant poison. We were trying to keep everything away from the plants as much as possible.
We probably should have made efforts before this all happened. Luckily they had not really started colonizing yet, we caught them very early. I think they were just checking out the scenery.
There still are a few in there, but I am making their stay as uncomfortable as possible. Each morning I check and finger smash those that come out and disrupt whatever attempt they are making to create a colony by shoveling them out along with the dirt. Each day there are less and less so I still have hope!