We ran out of store bought playdough over a month or so ago and Little Miss has been asking me when were were going to go some. Well I’ve never gotten around to it so she’s been without…until this morning!
I completely forgot that I had a recipe to make the stuff at home. It’s really simple and you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry already. Accept for maybe the cream of tartar. I had to buy some the first I made this and it’s been in my cabinets untouched since then. Here goes!
What you need:
1 cup all purpose white flour
1/2 cup salt (no need to be fancy the cheap stuff’ll do)
1 Tbs cream of tartar
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 cup water
A few drops of food coloring
What to do:
1. Mix the flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a medium size bowl. Stir until there are no lumps.
2. Pour in the oil and then the water. Whisk until the mixture is a smooth consistent texture.
3. Add a few drops of food coloring and stir until color is uniform.
4. In a saucepan (that you don’t mind getting all grubby), stir the mixture with a large spoon until it has dried and comes together into a solid mass. It should look like playdough at this point.
5. Dump the playdough on a clean counter or some place flat.
6. Knead the dough until smooth. Be warned that it will be somewhat hot right off of the stove. Here is where you can add essential oils to give the dough a nice scent. (We used lavender and peppermint)
7. The dough will still be a little warm, put it in a plastic container with a lid until it has cooled down. Then play!
Little Miss made blue peppermint!
And Curly Q made green lavender!
I like this recipe because the playdough is much more pliable and softer than store bought. The last time I made this we stored it in plastic quart bags and it didn’t dry out for a couple of months. It only dried out because we did not close the bag all the way, so it may have lasted a little longer.